Minutes: August 9, 2022
Emina Darakjy, Bob Blum, Mona Cummings, Anne Fenkner, Sarah Gaskin, Nick Harvey, Elizabeth Lanham, Nancy Sappington, Magen Shaw.
Nancy Hughes, Dorothy Abeyta, Deb Etheredge
Laura Burnett, Sara Davis, Gordon Mann, Emily Spillett
- Review, Approve Agenda, Consent Calendar
- 2022 Conference Planning
Note: Online vote for Beth Valdez board application occurred in the week following the call.
12:05 — Meeting called to order, roll call
12:07 — Approve consent calendar and agenda
12:11 — Old Business
- The schedule page on the website will be finished today.
- Conference promotion more tomorrow – keynote speakers promo
12:18 — Sarah – Treetopia event – ideas for future activities
- partnership with TreeStuff.com
- do something on the West Coast that was fun for the industry
- combined classes, games, etc.
- fundraising for CaUFC with $10 BBQ plates ($700)
- family activities included
- include a story about TreeTopia in the next newsletter
12:25 — Anne brief report on the event partnered with Master Garden Extension Program
- Regional Council forms – moved to Google forms so that it saves progress
San Diego RC just started an Instagram – Deb to share with our own followers
12:28 — Nancy – Strategic Plan with the board
- a reminder of the deadlines of tactics/tasks and deliverables
- does the board want to make any edits?
- does the board want to form ad hoc committees?
- staff availability is limited until after the conference
- the board decided to revisit the plan in October/November
- board recruitment strategy – Nick suggests bringing another younger person onto the board from within Nick’s own network
- Beth Valdez application – Nancy to resend the application and put it to an email vote
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion statement subcommittee – Emily & Sarah – Aug 11th @ 12 noon – coming back with a statement for the next board meeting
12:41 — Nancy discusses Regional Council support with campaigns like Stop the Stump / Stop the Top
- Emina discusses educating arborists
- Nick discussed educating homeowners on why the trees at their homes are valuable and doing outreach through social media like Instagram
- Magen asked for content to use on social media, like Instagram-ready content
- Instagram templates for regional council use that can be shared through canva.com
- check the donate button is functioning on the CaUFC & IFGU Instagram page
- social media strategy with extra content
- Deb to send Magen and everyone the link for the drought campaign materials
12.53 pm — CAL FIRE update – we have not received any update
- no response that the packet has been received
- Dorothy has followed up and also had no response
- putting together a presentation on our grants for CAL FIRE
- CAL FIRE may be overwhelmed with many responsibilities
12.55 pm — Arbor Day Foundation and Fountain Grove II group to do another planting day
- Emina speaking about conference sponsorship opportunities
- Looking for conference registrations
- Donate items for the silent auction
1.03 pm — Adjourned