Minutes: October 25, 2019
October 25, 2019 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Emily Spillett, Daniel Kump, Bob Blum, Jeff Reimer, Emina Darakjy, Mona Cummings, Sarah Gaskin, Elizabeth Lanham
Nancy Hughes, Deb Etheredge
Matt Deines, Megan Shaw, Dave Duncan, Laura Burnett
Communications Report: Deb
- Social media, fairly steady, not a lot up pick-up.
- Sarah G. Volunteered to start CaUFC Instagram page
Executive Director’s Report
U&CF $40M ($12.4M increase)
Every state gets a base of $200k
Advocacy update: Tasha Newman (Pacific Policy Group)
Focused attention on:
- Appropriation for Urban forestry
- PSHB issue
- Work force development
- Fire prevention, forest health, defensible space, line clearance
- Increase funding going toward the program
- Ended up with $20M for urban forestry (Cap&Trade funding revenue) 2019-2020
- Natural Resources and Climate Resilience Bond…ensured funding for UF in bond. $75M for urban greening, $25M for UF (proposals at this point, needs to get passed)
- Bond efforts this year not successful. Non passed. Will start again this Fall with hopes of casting a bond for Nov election.
- Lorena Gonzalez – CA Start assembly
- $5M toward PSHB, but allocated to many orgs
- Work force development, short on skilled labor in WL and UF.
- Senator Henry Stern intro’d SB462 – Community College 2-year program, Urban Forestry etc. (Bill is in holding, need to go back)
- A lot of bills around forest health and fire prevention. Especially on defensible space, maybe not be necessary to remove so many trees. Not just go out and clear cut.
- Defensible space bill was vetoed by governor bc too expensive.
- Fire & Ice (HBO)
- “Talking to Strangers” Malcom Gladwell
- “Forest Bathing”
**Everyone send in 1 book or article
Lunch Break Noon –
Local Carbon Network Presentation by Khadija Khansia
Back in session: 1:08pm
Strategic Plan: Deb/Nancy
- Mission: What is a “Smart” investment.
- Emerging issues…adding Climate change. Carbon?
- Went over Objectives and Actions.
- Triple AAA teams
- Off the grid
- What is the money going toward?
- Develop the story in the regions. Make it resonate.
Bay Area: Elizabeth
- What’s happening: Tree planting, mtg in Berkeley
- Goals: more support, regular events (every other month)
- New and learning, meeting everyone, learning how to manage funds in a smart way to have the most impact.
- Street trees seminar next month: Annual event, award scholarships
- Summer event, host at Cal Poly Pomona
- Buy the book
Central Coast: Jeff
- Upcoming SLO arbor day, planting trees at a park. Nov 2
- Another tree planting: 120 tree downtown
- Projects: the nursery connection, connect select-tree with nurseries
Inland: Nancy Sappington
- Riverside’s Green Summit
- Booth at Pollinator Festival
- Cal Poly in December – Booth – recruiting people in Arb workforce
- Workshop in January – bilingual English/Spanish
- Active board, but challenge of time constraint
- Grant with Riverside for nursery, but no time for grant renewal
End time: 4:04pm