Strategic Planning Session – June 2020
(Note: the text in BOLD captured below is the updated, edited version of the previously discussed Strategies and Actions.
CaUFC Strategic Planning Session #2
June 18, 2020
10:00 AM – Welcome & introductions – Daniel
10:10 AM – Review and approve agenda – Daniel
10:15 AM – Recap of first Strategic Plan call on May 14th, 2020 – Daniel and Nancy
10:30 AM – Context and things to consider for strategy conversation – Nancy
- Making hard choices
- Bold thinking pays off
- Small organization – big ideas
- How does the Board participate?
- How are we going to evolve? Current CaUFC Governance Structure
- We will focus on five strategies or fewer! (objectives, actions, tactics will all come next month!)
11:30 AM – Bio-break
11:40 AM – TREES ARE ESSENTIAL CAMPAIGN – Preview – Nancy & Deb
11:55 AM – Schedule next call
12:00 Noon – Adjourn
Inspire and engage a diverse network with robust programs
Ensure financial and programmatic sustainability
Recruit a fundraising board of directors
GOAL A: INCREASE RECOGNITION & INVESTMENT AT ALL LEVELS
Volunteers-Sarah, Isby, Dorothy
Strategy 1: Inspire, engage and collaborate with a diverse network with robust programs
- Identify and develop new urban forestry programs
- Strengthen existing programs, eg. Invest from the Ground Up
- Collaborate with and support the local work of the Regional Councils.
- Identify & build relationships for successful community-based outreach efforts.
- Implement outreach to elected officials & decision makers.
- Each regional council engage with non-traditional organization to partner with
- Each non-regional council board member will identify a non-traditional organization to create partnerships
GOAL B: BUILD OUR ORGANIZATIONAL EXCELLENCE & CAPACITY
Volunteers-Daniel, Nancy Hughes
Strategy 2: Ensure financial & programmatic sustainability
- Oversee resources, approve budgets, and monitor finances.
- Maintain legal & fiduciary responsibilities.
- Ensure completion of program deliverables including financial management, invoicing, reporting, etc.
- Monitor organizational performance.
- Review & revise the Strategic Plan as the need arises.
- Ensuring a diversity of funding sources
Volunteers-Mona, Nancy Hughes
Strategy 3: Recruit and retain an engaged fundraising and partnership building board of directors
- Review, develop and achieve targets for board composition
- Establish fundraising targets to maintain, fund & build capacity
- Maintain an ongoing compilation list of fundraising opportunities and deadlines
- Raise funds for increased outreach & public policy work; staff retention, program continuity, developing leadership capacity and covering fundraising costs.