Minutes

Monthly Call: April 19, 2019

11:00 AM – 12:00 Noon

Summary

Meeting Objectives:

  • Review and approve Agenda and Consent Calendar Items
  • Review and vote on: lease, bylaw edits and Governance Framework edits
  • Review Friendraising goals
  • Review Annual Support Campaign/Spring Campaign kick-off
  • Address Strategic Plan within Communication Plan for Board Member efforts
  • Review action items

Objectives

  • Review and approve Agenda and Consent Calendar Items
  • Review and vote on: lease, bylaw edits and Governance Framework edits
  • Review Friendraising goals
  • Review Annual Support Campaign/Spring Campaign kick-off
  • Address Strategic Plan within Communication Plan for Board Member efforts
  • Review action items

Attendance

In attendance:

Board: Matt Deines, Daniel Kump, Dave Duncan, Isby Fleishmann
Staff: Nancy Hughes

Absent:

Board: Laura Burnett, Gordon Mann, Bob Blum, Emily Spillett
Staff: Deb Etheredge

Quorum is still at 33%, which currently means five participants. As there was not a quorum, Board members determined to discuss agenda items – focusing on key items needed decisions.

Notes

Action items are identified in blue font and consolidated at the end of the summary.

11:10 AM – Executive Director’s Report.

  • No questions.
  • Nancy to follow-up with Gordan on questions identified.
  • Nancy met with Jack McCabe of Davey; Davey is interested in ramping up advocacy in Sacramento. May be a stretch to CAUFC to be involved in line-clearance and other fire related issues; but it may become relevant given then vilification of trees in both wildland and urban areas. Pacific Policy Group is putting together a proposal to Davey for our advocacy would be expanded to do this; would include advocacy funding as well as funding for Nancy’s administration’s time.

11:15 AM – Office Lease

  • Dave noted some missing language; Dave to send comments/questions to Nancy.
  • Signature page was shared only; Nancy will provide

11:15 AM – Bylaws and Governance

  • Language not needed to add regional council members, but update needed to absentee language. Dave suggests that additional language is needed to identify regional council members as full members. Agreed to add language that both at-large and regional council members have a vote.

11:35 AM – Friendraising

  • Sara Gaskin’s Board Application. Sarah works with tree care company, A Plus Tree Care. More corporate clients; large urban wood reutilization shop. Sara does business development for the company. To discuss and vote over email.
  • Will have 7 people joining from WCA.
  • Jason Pinegar to come on Board in early Summer… once house it built! Nancy to follow-up.
  • Would like to add another Central CA representative.

Annual Support Campaign

  • Deb has created/is creating a video training.
  • Daniel and Matt provided bios and great photos… all should be up early next week.
  • Intention to kick-off campaign on Friday 4/26 (Arbor Day). Nancy and Deb to check in and give instructions to Board Members early next week. Board Members get ready!!

Review Old Action Items

Mostly complete; updates are provided in red (by Nancy) and follow-up items to do noted in blue font.

  • Review and renew a contract for the lease agreement; approaching end of 2nd year. – Attached in board packet
  • Nancy to schedule a 2018 audit. – Nancy has reached out to auditor
  • Isby to share examples of agendas with objectives.
  • Deb to add video and history to Board page – Nancy to make sure done
  • Nancy and Deb to make sure we have a good system for downloading/archiving Deb’s Communication Reports. Complete
  • Nancy and Emily and Deb to made sheet distinguishing titles and roles of two types of Board Members. It will be noted that if Regional Council – members take on executive roles; they will have to take on fundraising requirements. Nancy completed this draft document entitled Governance Framework – attached in packet; Nancy to make minor edits.
  • Nancy to draft absentee language for bylaws. Nancy completed this draft attached – Needs to be reviewed/approved by quorum.
  • For April: (done what can be done)
  • Deb to set up pages for new members; Board members to make sure up to date. Nancy to reach out to Matt and Daniel for bios/photos. All pages set up by next meeting: April 19, 2019. Done 4/14/19
  • Nancy to finalize Regional Council end of year expenses and develop Grant Tracking Sheet. Late May. Nancy to extend invite to June Board Meeting. Determine if they have modified application; Nancy to work on this.
  • Nancy to develop form for regional councils to report at meetings. – Late May
  • Email Board for Conference committee members, ideas, and sponsors. – Sponsorship form attached.  Nancy to invite Board members; optional, but fun! And support is needed. Speakers are looking great.
  • Board Members to review the Communications Plan and identify questions/thoughts for 2019 goals/actions. Consider strategic planning session with hired facilitator; work through a 5-year Plan. Board Member input would be meaningful here, build ownership of direction. New directions will continue to affect us. Board should discuss scheduling a retreat; Nancy to look at budget for this.

Planting 100 trees in Santa Rosa and more in California this weekend! Woo hoo!!!

11:42 – Adjourn

Action Items

UPDATED Action Items

  • Nancy to follow-up with Gordan on questions identified in Director’s Report.
  • Dave to sent comments/questions to Nancy on office lease.
  • Nancy to add language that both at-large and regional council members have a vote; Board members to review and approve in May.
  • Sara Gaskin’s application to be discussed and voted on over email.
  • Nancy will follow up with Jason Pinager re: Board application.
  • Kick off  Spring Campaign – Nancy and Deb to check in and give instructions to Board Members early next week. Board Members get ready!!
  • Nancy to confirm audit schedule.
  • Nancy to confirm that Deb has added video and history to Board page.
  • For May – Board members still need to:
    • Review and renew a contract for the lease agreement.
    • Review and approve absentee language
  • Regional Council
    • Nancy to finalize Regional Council end of year expenses and develop Grant Tracking Sheet in late May.
    • Nancy to extend invite to June Board Meeting and draft a modified application.
    • Nancy to develop form for regional councils to report at meetings. – Late May
  • Nancy to invite Board members to join conference committee.